Sunday, November 21, 2010

Game Day Food Blitz

Many a Fall Sunday is spent watching football in my small abode. Well, I'm not the hugest football fan so to keep myself entertained I have tried to mix up our game day food menu this year.  Below are the top recipes S2H and I have tried this year.  I can't say our waistlines were always thankful but our taste buds were definitely doing the touchdown dance!

Ham & Cheese Sliders
courtesy of Annie's Eats, recipe here


These little guys are packed with flavor between the mustard, onion, and poppy seeds.  We tried the sandwiches on both potato rolls and mini wheat slider rolls,  I preferred the potato rolls and I am sure Hawaiian sweet rolls would be even better.

Beef Chili
courtesy of Smitten Kitchen, recipe here

This chili is a hearty treat for the weekend.  It is full of veggies like carrots, bell pepper and beans (I added more than the recipe said for all of them).  The chili is more on the thick side and doesn't have too much soupy-ness.  We served it with biscuits one day and then orzo the next day.  I'm sure it would be wonderful on nachos too!

Crockpot Pulled Pork
recipe adapted from Beantown Baker
Ingredients:
(spice rub)
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 (6 pound) pork tenderloin

1/4 cup of water
1 bottle of lager (we used Yuengling)
2 cups barbecue sauce


Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

Massage spice rub into meat (I recommend doing this on a jelly roll pan or large cookie sheet with sides). Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. (I refrigerated ours for 1 day).

Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add 1/4 cup water and bottle of lager. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.

Transfer roast to cutting board (again, I used a large cookie sheet with sides. This helped to contain the mess); discard liquid in liner. Pull by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.

Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce (or more depending on your taste), and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

I think this was S2H's favorite meal of the season so far, it was such a treat!  I made the coleslaw using this recipe.


Texas Caviar
courtesy of In No Simple Language
This recipe is my favorite of the bunch.  It is a super simple dip and the fresh avocado is really tasty.  It is the best thing to ever land on a frito! This dip travels well and only gets better as it marinates, I have brought it to two different tailgating events and it is always a huge hit!  So good that I have yet to take a picture of it, I get all consumed in eating it! 


Ingredients: 
2 Cans of black eyed peas with jalapenos (my store didn't carry this type so I just added my own jalapenos)
1 Can original Rotel
2 Medium sized avocados
1 Large green bell pepper
1/2 Large purple onion
1 Lime
3/4 Cup Zesty Italian

Directions :
Dice avocados, bell pepper & onion and put in large bowl. Cut lime in half and squeeze juice over avocados, bell pepper & onion. The lime is to give flavor and preserve the avocado. Place black eyed peas in strainer and rinse then, add to add to bowl. Poor can of Rotel in the bowl with it's juice. Finally, add the Zesty Italian. Mix with a large spoon. Don't stir too hard or much as the avocados could get smushy depending on the ripeness you buy.

If you try to eat the dip right away, the bell pepper and onion will be quite crunch. It is best if the bowl sits in the fridge and everything marinates for a while.  Delicious with fritos, tortilla chips, sun chips, anything to deliver it to your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment