Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tortellini Soup

I love soup, and my soup craving always gets stronger as I pull out sweaters and boots.  I like my soup to have lots of things in it and just the right amount of broth...not too slurpy.  I saw this soup from the Culinary Couple a few months ago and instantly book marked it.  The weather this past weekend was just screaming for soup so S2H and I got to work! This meal far exceeded my expectations and will definitely be a repeat this winter!

Tortellini Soup
Ingredients
·         1/2 lb. sweet Italian turkey sausage 
·         1 cup onion, chopped
·         2 cloves garlic, minced
·         5 cups beef broth (I recommend low sodium, just so you can control the salt level)
·         1/3 cup water
·         1/2 cup red wine
·         1 can whole tomatoes
·         1 cup carrots
·         1/2 teaspoon basil
·         1/2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
·         1 cup tomato sauce
·         2 zucchini, chopped
·         8 oz. cheese tortellini (I used the Bertolli three cheese and garlic tortellini)
·         1 package or 1 bag fresh spinach
·         Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    1. In large pot, cook sausage ~5 minutes. Remove meat and set aside.
    2. Add onion and garlic. Saute.
    3. Add broth, herbs,  wine, tomato sauce, vegetables (except zucchini and spinach), and sausage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered ~30 minutes.
    4. Add zucchini, spinach, and tortellini. Simmer ~25 minutes.
    5. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve with your favorite  bread.
    P.S.  S2H and I have a house guest this week...Louie is back!! Pretty sure a Fall photo shoot is in order! :)

    {how cute is this face! makes me smile!}



    1 comment:

    1. sweetness that sounds sooo yummy (minus the meat of course) I little birdy tells me you'll be home for Thanksgiving!!!! I may have scream with joy :) Let the count down began!

      ReplyDelete